Friday, March 8, 2019

Challenge: Write a poem (any style) starting with "This is love"


This is love.
Wait, this is love?
This is what has inspired so many poems and songs and movies?
Love looks very different from what I was expecting.

Love is a promise you keep breaking.
Love is keeping our relationship a secret because it’s more special that way.
Love is a hug that turns into suffocation because you’re too drunk to know that you’re hurting me.
Love is the anxiety of not knowing which version of you I’ll come home to.
Love is trying so hard to apologize in the right way so that you won’t keep ignoring me.
Love is understanding why you are the way you are and so I’ll keep forgiving you even though you won’t forgive me.
Love is controlling my decisions because you say you know what’s best for me.
Love is throwing me out to teach me a lesson.
Love is a hand that hits before it soothes.

Is this what love really looks like?
It must be, because you keep telling me,
“This is love.”

No comments:

Post a Comment